Procrastinate much?

14 04 2010

Finally! The post y’all have been waiting for is here! Enjoy. :)

Photos are in the previous post.. and they are out of order… but check ’em out!

Ok, so Friday Jim dropped me off at the airport and everything seemed to be going smoothly until I got to the gate. The lady at the desk told me the flight was delayed and I was going to have to fly on another airlines to Atlanta instead of Newark. No problem. I go to the desk for the Atlanta flight and they tell me that I won’t make my connecting flight if I go to Atlanta. Again, no problem… I will just fly the original flight. Well, I was going to have 30 minutes to get from my arrival gate to the departure gate at Newark. Too bad my flight landed 15 minutes after my connecting flight took off. Lame. So, I hopped on a plane to Houston. Almost didn’t get on that flight because the computers at Newark were down. Once I land in Houston, I find there are zero connecting flights to Austin that night, so I have to get a hotel and chill in Houston for the night. No problem. I paid a taxi, got a cheap hotel (Super 8 anyone?) and passed out. In the morning, the flight was on time and I made it to Austin at 10am. When I got off the plane and headed down the stairs at the Austin airport I saw my mom, dad, Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerrell.

As soon as I gave my mom a hug I started crying.

I know I’m a big baby… but after all the injuries (sprained ankle, busted bum) and the crazy flights I think it was warranted. It seemed like the gods were conspiring against me getting to run in the Capitol 10K, and finally making it there and seeing my family for the first time in a few months (and a year for Linda and Jerrell) I just lost it.

No worries though. For y’all that know me, I get the tears out and then I’m good to go. We enjoyed a great lunch with my cousins and one of my mom’s friends from high school. Then it was off to the biggest wine store I have ever seen. It was the size of a grocery store… only full of wine. Once we got to my aunt’s house I took a nap, then woke up to make dinner. We had some yummy pasta dishes, chicken and salad. Best pre-race dinner ever. Soon after I passed out (I had only 5 hours sleep the night before).

Morning of the race:
I woke up early, got dressed in my awesome “stud muffin” Blueberry Cafe t-shirt, purple bandana and running shorts. I was all nerves and excitement. The day was cloudy, misty, about 60 degrees and perfect racing weather. Mom and Linda dropped us off at the race, wished us luck and we were off. The place was so crowded and full of energy, 20,000 people were running/walking. Dad and I had to stand around for about 40 minutes before it was the start of the “fun run”. We weren’t timed runners, we were running with all the goobers who were dressed up. Before I knew what was happening, Dad and I were off, running up a hill to the Capitol of Austin.

It was a great run. Dad and I were doing a nice slow jog (due to my previous injuries and not wanting to push it). Even though our pace was about a 10 minute mile pace, we were still passing everyone and their mom. By the end of the race we passed around 1,500 people and some of the timed runners who were lagging. Our time? 1 hour and 17 minutes. Not bad at all. The race itself was great. Everyone was having fun and the time seemed to fly by. I lost my dad at the water stations a few times, but no worries, I went super slow and he caught up. The only time I intentionally left my dad behind was the last quarter of a mile.

And I flew.

Only once before have I ever experienced the “flying” feeling when running. It was when I was running in England, at the path near the Williams’ home. I don’t know what it was about that day, but at the very end of my run I just took off in a dead sprint and I swear my legs weren’t even moving. I was flying. It happened again at the Capitol 10K. As soon as I picked up speed I knew it was going to happen, so this time I was prepared. I ran at about a 7 minute mile pace until I got to the very last part where everyone was waiting and cheering on the runners. As soon as I hit the cheering crowd I felt like a real runner, like I was good at what I did and was kicking but.

I pushed myself into “flying mode” and I swear I couldn’t even see people’s faces. If I was running at 7 before, I definitely hit 5 when I was on that last stretch. It was awesome. Granted, it was for a short distance, but damn, it was kick ass. Totally a “flying” moment. Shortly after, my dad ran through the finish line grinning from ear to ear. I was so proud of him for running the whole time with me, even though he didn’t think he would be able to. The morning of the Captiol 10,000 wasn’t a defining moment in my life, but it was a damn good one.

We then headed back to Linda’s house, showered and changed and headed to watch SNL at a movie theater. My cousin, Dylan, thought it would be awesome to watch SNL on the big screen with a ton of other people. And it was so cool. He did a great job with the event, and it will be going on every Sunday from here on out.

Then we headed over to watch my cousin Adam’s band Panacea practice. They have a Radiohead meets the singer of Paramore feel. It was an intimate show, and it was awesome to watch them jam. If you’re ever in Austin, you should check them out.

The day ended with the family meeting up at a Mexican restaurant and pigging out on some delicioso enchiladas. mmmm.

Next morning, I sad goodbye to my family and hopped on a plane to Detroit. There were no complications with the flights and I made it back to Albany safely.




6 responses

15 04 2010

All of it was magical. We made a memory. A good one. So glad we could all be together.

15 04 2010

YOU GO GIRL!! And Jeff too!

15 04 2010
Linda Thaxton

Watching you and your dad round that corner in front of the Capitol was amazing. It was like time stood still to the sound of thousands of pounding feet. I’m so grateful I got to be a part of your race experience. And, thanks for sharing a slice of Adam and Dylan with me too! You rock!

P. S. You Dragon Ass or whut?

19 04 2010

I’m not big on crying either but when I saw my mom for the first time after flying back home from college that first quarter, it was tough. I saw her and I started getting teary eyed. Like you it didn’t last long, but it was nice to come home =)

19 04 2010
Will King

Very cool to get together with family, I love it.

Wish it could happen more for me!

P.S. thanks much for reading my blog, that must mean I have, roughly speaking, 4 readers now! wooooo haha

22 04 2010

Well now that you have read my blog that means I have a whole 4 readers as well! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: